Well folks, I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award by Amba…. actually it’s less of an award than a peer recognition by other bloggers of up-and-coming blogs, of good standard with less than 200 followers. Nominees are asked to:
1. Post eleven facts about themselves.
2. Answer the eleven questions they’ve been asked.
3. Nominate eleven other blogs and ask them eleven questions of their own.
4. Display the Liebster Award logo.
I’m really taken by this idea. I love the community-building that the award promotes, as well as the peer support/recognition. So, thanks Amba, I’m delighted to receive the Liebster from you and participate.
- I was born a “borderer”- on the border of England and Scotland and still feel my roots are there despite moving now being an expat.
- The only instrument I’ve successfully played was the recorder (for three years when I was in primary school)
- I turned down an opportunity to learn the clarinet because it conflicted with French class (yes, this is one of my early moments of geekdom)
- I love to scrapbook, but have at least three unfinished projects going currently.
- I’m a dog-mama to a lovely 6+-year old Shepherd mix who lights up my life
- I’m a cancer survivor.
- I like to bake and have a secret dream of owning a tea shop or bakery someday.
- I’m an Adjunct Professor in Sociology and Human Services. Teaching fills me with a passion for life. My other not-so-secret dream is to work toward a PhD in Sociomedical Sciences (Public Health + Sociology)
- I love creating new systems and programs. Envisioning them, creating them, and getting them funded is a challenge I gain energy from. My final even-less-secret dream is to be an Executive Manger of a non-profit start-up.
- My brother is my best friend and my parents are my rocks. I can’t imagine having it any other way.
- I love cake. Truly.
Answering Amba’s 11 Questions….
- Are you happy today? Why/Why not? Wow. Starting off easy, eh? I’m not unhappy today. Perhaps more neutral? I woke up feeling like I was hit by a ton of bricks (I’ve got a sinus infection), it’s raining outside, and I slept fitfully. So, I’m tired and achy. But, I’m looking forward to spending time with some lovely puppies before cooking tonight.
- Do you think life is fair? When I was younger, I would’ve had a more narrow answer to this question. Suffice it to say that having come through trials of my own, as well as having witnessed the trials of friends and family, I believe that life just is. I think it’s important to celebrate life. I believe in living. There are systems (institutions, policies, etc) in this life that may be fair/just or unfair/unjust. But, life itself… it has its ebbs and flows. It’s there for us to learn from, sometimes to plow through, to dance with, to sleep on, to smile at… It’s all living- the easy and the challenging parts.
- Who is your favorite person in the whole world? My 4-year old niece Mackenzie. She lights up my life.
- Do you love yourself 100%? Oh Amba, you’re a tough one. I do love myself 100%, but sometimes I struggle to like all of the parts. There are pieces of me that I’m still working on- responses I have that don’t always come from my best self. I don’t like those pieces, but understand why they exist and am trying not to isolate them.
- Why do you blog? Writing has always been a strong love of mine. I’ve journaled regularly since I was 12 years old. I began blogging 5 years ago about my journey with weight loss, exercise, and bulimia. In doing so, I found a strong response in my community of friends who shared their own struggles and thanked me for voicing my story because it made them feel less isolated. There are few areas in our lives in which we can publicly reflect upon the aspects of our personal journeys. Blogging is one arena for this reflection that I’m exploring.
- When was your happiest day? The day I first held my niece. Looking down on her tiny hands and feet. Listening to her breathing and smelling that newborn smell, I was filled with such promise and hope. I was extremely happy on that day.
- If you had to choose between family and friends, who would you choose? My friends are my family of choice, and my family are my friends.
- Which one do you prefer- being alone/spending time with people? I need a balance. As an extrovert, people give me energy. However, I also need alone time to re-center and rejuvenate. It’s all about balance.
- What is the one stereotype you fit? (Examples: fat girl with body issues, insecure spouse, unhappy teenager, loud happy person, etc.) Book nerd.
- What is your vice? Cake
- If the world ended today, what would you be doing? Well, today I’m dog walking, working out, and then cooking. So I guess it would depend on when the world ended. If I got to choose what I’d be doing when the world ended, I’d be dancing with my niece or playing with her on the park swings. Carefree and laughing.
Blogs I’d like to nominate (most of the Blogs I follow have large amounts of followers, so don’t qualify sadly!)
- Mermaid with Feet
- Aspiring to the Middle
- A Butch in the Kitchen
- Butch Wonders (I’m not sure of their number of followers, but think they’re fabulous)
- CUSS and other rants
- Negro on the Veranda (even though Ike needs to begin writing again….)
11 Questions I’d like to ask
- When did you first feel like a “grown up”?
- What excites you the most about life?
- Do you have a dream job? If so, what?
- If you had to define yourself as either earth, fire, water, or air, how would you define yourself and why?
- How do you like to spend your weekends?
- What project are you most excited about right now?
- What brings you to blogging?
- What’s been your biggest challenge in life so far?
- What always brings a smile to your face?
- What would a perfect date night/day look like for you?
- Which season do you prefer? Why?